Hi everyone, you've probably seen many of my posts in the past where I've modified and restored turntables. I've done many including Garrards 301, Thorens, Technics, Lenco's and quite a few others. Well after being pushed and prodded by a few forum members I've decided to offer my services by opening a website offering spare parts and modifications to these classic decks. The website is still in the ether but I will use this space which has been kindly offered to me by Oli to advertise and detail future products. I intend to offer good quality spare parts and sensible modifications at realistic prices. So, hopefully I'll be able to help and serve some of you in the future.
For those who are interested Main System: Highly modified Michell Orbe with SME V arm and Goldring Elite MC cartridge BB3 phonostage Raspberry PI with R-2R DAC and 7inch touch screen running Volumio Myryad Z40 pre-amp/headphone amp Pure Sound A30 (used as a power amp) Reiver Jenna floor standing speakers
These little decks continue to amaze me and the more you work on them the more you learn. Each little section of this deck has it's own idiosyncrasy. Bolts! Who'd have thought bolts could cause such a furore? Well in this instance they happen to be the most important component of this deck's design in that they help hold the suspended chassis and the isolation springs. It appears Thorens in their infinite wisdom altered the length of these bolts from time to time alongside spring length and it appear each version of the 160 had differing lengths. SO, NEVER EVER FORGET WHERE YOUR BOLT CAME FROM!! I have three differing length bolts, the shortest being nearest the tonearm whilst the others get longer as you approach the front of the deck. So now a couple of pictures
I fully chased out the damping material and counter sunk every screw hole in the top plate. I also partially populated the top plate with the three suspension bolts and half the speed changing mechanism. The three mounting bolts were ultrasonically cleaned and the buffed on the bench polisher in the workshop. The suspension bolt head now have a mirror finish which will match the top plate cover when it arrives. Little details like this matter and it helps my OCD knowing it's been done.
Now have a look at this rats nest...
Lots of work to be done with the wiring. It'll all be rewired with decent copper wiring rather the tinned copper stuff that Thorens used back in the 70's. The decks relies on x2 caps for the motor phase shift and Switch suppressor and x1 resistor for voltage dropping. I've not measured the tolerance or if they've drifted, that's a another job for another day. They will all be replaced with tight tolerance replacements. Let's see how this improves the deck. So it looks like a smaller order to hifi collective for these. As ever stay tuned.....
My cork arrived today so I immediately got on with making a template so that I could damp the underside of the suspended chassis. And here is what it looks like. I've partly re-assembled the 160 so I have some room in my listening room.
I also made a new base board and added damping. The 160 is now getting a little meaty..
And finally the deck together so you can get some idea of what it looks like at the moment. The plinth and mat are not staying.
The baseboard, and sub-chassis damping will eventually be produced by myself and available from the website when I write it. I also decided tonight to make a custom set of suspension mounting bolts, that's tomorrow's work! This new set of suspension mounting bolts should be able to take any set of Thorens Springs be they Audio Nirvana, original Thoren's or any other you care to mention. Stay tuned